1.1 Whose Personal Data We Collect
We collect personal information when you interact with our Services. Personal information is data that can be used to identify you directly or indirectly or to contact you including, but not limited to, your name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number. This policy does not apply to anonymized information as it cannot be used to identify you. The types of personal information that we may collect about you include, but are not limited to, information you provide to us, information from third parties, and information collected automatically about your use of our Services.
1.2 How We Collect Personal Data
We may collect data about you when you:
- Sign up to become a registered user of our site(s)
- Register as an LRIG member
- Enroll for virtual, or in-person, events or conferences
- Download certain publications or materials which we offer
- Communicate with LRIG staff and provide information to us, such as your email address
- Interact with LRIG on social media or other public forums
- Automatically if you use our websites and mobile apps
- From recruiters if you apply for employment or volunteer opportunities
1.3 Types Of Personal Data We Collect
The types of personal data we collect, and share depends on the nature of the relationship you have with LRIG and the requirements of applicable laws. The types of personal data we collect include:
- Membership. If you provide your personal information to LRIG to become a member, or if you sign up to become a registered user of any Site, you will be required to provide certain information as part of the registration process. This information may include your first and last name, email address, and business or home address. We may also request that you voluntarily provide other information, such as your phone number, date of birth and demographic information. We use this information to communicate with you, to design content and activities that we believe would be of interest to you, and to ensure that we will not violate any applicable U.S. regulations in providing you access to our Services. We believe your membership creates a contract between us and rely on fulfillment of contract as the lawful basis for processing members’ personal information.
- Events and Conferences. We may host events that include in-person and virtual conferences, training, knowledge sharing and webinars. If you register for an event, and you already have an account (e.g. when subscribing to a publication), we will access the information in your account to provide you with information and services associated with the event. We may also ask for additional demographic information during the registration process. If you register for one of our events and you do not have an account or are not a member, we will collect basic registration data such as your first and last name, email address, business or home address and information about the type of business you work for or with as part of the registration process.
We use the information provided by event attendees to provide them with event services, including badge printing, tailoring sessions to meet the audience profile and related purposes connected with the event. Since your event registration creates a contract between us, we rely on fulfillment of contract as the lawful basis for processing members’ personal information.
If you are a presenter at one of our events, we will collect information about you such as your name, employer, contact information and photograph for use in marketing the event and publishing details of event conent. We may also collect information provided by event attendees who evaluated your performance as a presenter, and we may also make and store a recording of your voice and likeness in certain instances, for internal use in developing content for future events for instance. We rely on a legitimate interest as the lawful basis for processing your personal information in this way.
- Professional Relationships. If you are a third party with whom we have or are contemplating a contractual relationship such as an event sponsor or service provider, we may collect publicly available information related to your business and practices for due diligence purposes.
We will collect payment related information we need to pay for services and products that individuals may provide to us (such as tax identification number and financial account information)
- Security and Devices. We may collect access credentials that may be created in connection with establishing an account on our website or mobile applications
If you interact with our Services, we may collect device data, such as your computer or mobile device IP address, unique identifiers (including identifiers used for advertising purposes), and general location information such as city, state or geographic area
Online activity data through cookies and other automated means, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, the website you visited before browsing to the website, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and duration of access
- Communications. If you communicate or correspond with us by email, through postal mail, via telephone or through other forms of communication, including our customer service, we may collect the information you provide as part of those communications. For example, if you correspond with us through email, we may collect and store the email address you use to send the applicable correspondence and use it to respond to your inquiry; to notify you of LRIG conferences, publications, or other services; or to keep a record of a complaint, accommodation request, and similar purposes. We have a legitimate interest in processing the personal information of those who communicate voluntarily with us so that we can provide our Services.
- Payment Processing. All payments made to us during event registration for instance, are processed by a PCI/DSS-compliant (financial card industry security standards) payment processing service. All information collected by these third-party providers for purposes of processing your payments is not available to LRIG.
1.4 Cookies and Other Automated Information Collection
As you navigate through and interact with our Sites, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your device (computer, tablet, smart phone) and your activities, including:
- Details about the devices that are used to access our websites or mobile applications (e.g. IP address, and type of operating system and web browser)
- Dates and times of visits to, and use of, our websites and mobile applications
- Details about your interactions with the Sites or emails that we may send you, including the links on which you click and your interactions with our linked sites
- Information about how our websites and mobile applications are used (such as the content that is viewed on our websites and how users navigate our pages)
- URLs that refer visitors to our websites
- If you access the Services through a mobile device, we may also be able to identify the location of your mobile device. If we collect your location information (if shared), we may identify the geographic locations from which our content is accessed so that we can better understand what content topics may be most relevant in the location, and to our members generally, and to develop resources around those content topics. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your mobile device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your service provider or device manufacturer.
We rely on our legitimate interest in understanding how our members and visitors use our website as a basis for processing personal information in this way. Such processing assists us in providing more relevant products and services to our members, and with providing value to our sponsors.
Web browsers may offer users of our websites the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our websites may not function correctly. You can visit www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-control-cookies for information about cookie and how to disable them.
1.5 HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA
To the extent permitted by applicable local law, we may use personal data for the following purposes:
- Communicating with you about the products and services we offer, and responding to requests, inquiries, comments, and suggestions
- Analyzing and enhancing our communications and strategies (e.g. effectiveness of emails or our websites and mobile applications)
- Operating, securing, and improving our business (including both physical premises digital environments), and monitoring security risks
- Developing, personalizing customer relationship management activities and tailoring your experience at our Sites, including the delivery of programs and materials, as well as surveys and market research
- We may use personal information we collect directly from you or from third parties to send marketing or promotional messages including newsletters and other information that may be of interest to you, to deliver targeted and relevant advertising and marketing to you, and to promote our Services. Our marketing will be conducted in accordance with your advertising / marketing preferences and in accordance with applicable privacy and electronic communication regulations.
- Staffing, facilitating, conducting and managing our events
- Defining and managing appropriate member engagement and enrollment activities
- Facilitating and improving our recruitment activities (such as processing employment applications, evaluating job candidates, analyzing trends and recruitment statistics)
1.6 SHARING AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
- Vendors and Service Providers: To assist us in meeting business operations needs and to perform certain services and functions, we may share Personal Data with vendors including:
- Data storage and analytics and technology providers (including technology support, marketing and advertising technology providers)
- Event planning and travel organizations that help facilitate LRIG programs
- Business Partners and Sponsors. If you are an event attendee, speaker, or sponsor, certain items of your information may be included in the event roster, which may also be shared with third-party event sponsors and exhibitors and publicly disclosed, subject to the applicable law. While we do not control our business partners’ use of such information, we do take appropriate steps to ensure that they commit to use appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information. Our partners and sponsors are responsible for managing their own use of the personal information collected in these circumstances, including providing information to you about how they use your personal information. We recommend you review the privacy policies of the relevant partner to find out more about their handling of your personal information.
- Legal Obligations or Regulators: If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, (ii) protect and defend our rights or property, (iii) prevent fraud, (iv) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Service, or the public, or (v) protect against legal liability.
- Other LRIG Chapters and Volunteers. We may share your information with other LRIG chapters so they may offer membership and associated services to you pursuant to your membership in that Chapter.
1.7 Personal Data Access Rights
Individuals are able to exercise the following rights in relation to the personal data that we may have collected about you. Please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal data, we may not be able to provide our products or services to individuals who exercise these rights, or to otherwise engage with such individuals going forward.
We reserve the right to verify the identity of the individual in connection with any requests regarding personal data, to help ensure that we provide the information to individuals to whom the information pertains and allow only those individuals or their authorized representatives to exercise rights with respect to that information.
1.7.1 Withdrawal of consent
Where you have provided consent to us to process your personal data, you may withdraw such consent by following the instructions provided at the time of collection or by contacting us using details in the Contact Us section below. In some instances, withdrawing your consent may mean we can no longer provide products or services to you or otherwise engage with you.
1.7.2 Access to personal data
You may request access to the personal data that we maintain about you. You may request to correct any errors in your personal data. In the event we cannot comply fully or at all, with your request, we will notify you of the reasons for this.
1.7.3 Objection to and deletion of personal data
You may object (opt-out) at any time on legitimate grounds to the processing of your personal data or to the extent provided by applicable law, you may request that we delete your personal data from our records. In some cases, we may not be able to comply with your request or comply fully. In the event we cannot comply, we will notify you of the reasons for this.
In any event, you have the right to file a complaint with a regulator or data protection supervisory authority in your jurisdiction. Should you want to make such a complaint, you can contact us using details in the Contact Us section below and we will provide you with the contact details of your local privacy regulator or data protection supervisory authority.
Note about “Sales”: LRIG does not “sell” personal data as most people would typically understand that term.
When submitting a request any of these rights, please describe your relationship with us and your request, with sufficient detail to allow us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. We may need to verify your identity before processing your request, which may require us to request additional personal data from you.
Our Service is not directed to children who are under the age of 16. LRIG does not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 16. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 16 has provided Personal Data to LRIG through the Service, please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
1.9 LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our Sites may contain links to third-party websites. These third-party websites and services are not related to us and may have separate privacy policies and data collection practices. We have no responsibility for these websites or their privacy practices and encourage you to read the privacy policies of all websites you visit.
You use the Service at your own risk. We implement commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and organizational measures to protect Personal Data both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, we cannot guarantee that the measures we maintain will ensure the security of the personal data. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via the Service or e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Data to LRIG via the Internet. In addition, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Service, or third party websites.
1.12 CONTACT US
LRIG New England
111 Dutton Rd
Sudbury, MA 01776